Sunday, January 26, 2014

Blog #2

What Will Teaching in the 21st Century Be Like?
 
 
 
This week, we were asked (among of ton of other things, haha!) to watch a couple of clips from YouTube, and I must say that the clips were quite insightful as well as creative!
 

The video called Mr. Dancealot significantly fascinated me. It started off as a regular professor walking into his classroom, and introducing himself as Professor Dancelot! He is a professor of dance, and he even demonstrates each dance move, but unfortunately he does it behind his desk where the students can't see, and it seems that he won't let the students try out the dances in class themselves! At the end, for their exam, the students had to demonstrate each dance to him as a test grade, but because the students couldn't try the dances in class, they were lost and didn't know what to do!! I feel like the central message of this video is that hands-on and demonstrative approaches to teaching yields better results. The author justified that message when at the end, the students didn't know what to do when the music started. I fully agree with this because I am a hands-on learner, and I remember things more easily when I am asked to demonstrate something.

Next, we were asked to watch the video Teaching in the 21st Century. My impression when I watched it was that the author Kevin Roberts thinks that teaching is rapidly changing and that we should do everything we can as teachers to teach with the most updated media. He listed every type of social media that exists in our world, and how each of them will affect students and teachers. Yes, I agree somewhat on why we should keep up with things, but using old methods works just as well too!

The Networked Student was next on our list of videos to watch. When the question was asked "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?", I almost immediately knew the answer. The teacher is the one that pretty much teaches the student how to think and look things up for themselves, but offers guidance in anyway if a student becomes stuck. Honestly, I like the way the author portrays the teacher, and I feel like the method used by students to navigate their way to get answers themselves is an important step in adulthood, academic life, and even in career life!

I'll be totally open and honest about this next video we had to watch. Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts. Davis' thesis was to use technology to teach a class, your students will reciprocate that information and you as well will learn from it. There was a few statements that the teacher mentioned about different teaching methods that raised my eyebrows. Of course, the focus on this video, as well as the class, is how to integrate technology with classrooms! But I feel like technology is not the only form of learning. When I was growing up, we were very limited on the amount of technology available to us. So, we had to learn with pencil and paper alone. She stated in the video that only certain kids can pass with using pencil and a paper alone. I must say that I mastered school with just pencil and paper! Kids can use both modes of learning, but not to say one method is better than the other! Yes, technology is a relatively new thing, but it shouldn't only be used...    

Last, but definitely not least, we watched Flipping the Classroom. I actually THOUROUGHLY enjoyed this presentation! I've never heard of it before, but after the lecture, I got really excited! I feel like every student should at least know what the next day in class will bring so they can be prepared. Posting a blog setting instructions on what to do and be prepared for is a borderline genius plan for every teacher and student!  
 
           


2 comments:

  1. Hey Kaitlyn, I am Kelly. Just like you, I am a hands on learner so, the video Mr. Dancealot really hit home for me. I wouldn't have been able to take a dance class without dancing and still be expected to know the dance by final exams. I personally think that too much social media and technology in the classroom is not good for the learning process and it is not healthy. I am majoring in Elementary Education and when I see younger kids like ages 6 and under, using technology like their life depended on it, it really makes me upset. Because they do not learn from technology, they need parent/human interaction. Flipping the Classroom made me excited to be a future educator. I totally agree with you, I think every student needs to know what they will be learning the next day. So they can be prepared and learn more in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... Mr. Dancealot significantly fascinated me…." Are you sure significantly is the word you want to use here?

    "I feel like the central message of this video is that hands-on and demonstrative approaches to teaching yields better results." Well put!

    "... but using old methods works just as well too! " Really? My understanding of the recent literature is that when students are not engaged in the learning process they do not learn and that the use of technology is essential to engaging them in the learning process. Do you know of different research findings? Perhaps that using pencil and paper really does engage students?

    "Honestly, I like the way the author portrays the teacher, and I feel like the method used by students to navigate their way to get answers themselves is an important step in adulthood, academic life, and even in career life! " But that is not an "old method"!

    "So, we had to learn with pencil and paper alone. She stated in the video that only certain kids can pass with using pencil and a paper alone. I must say that I mastered school with just pencil and paper!" do you really believe that the 2, 3 and 4 year olds who have masters the iPhone and the iPad will be content with pencil and paper? Those are the kids you will have for your students. What strategies will you use to keep them engaged in the learning process?

    Just because it worked for you does not mean it will work for a generation steeped in technology. You said yourself that when you were young " ...we were very limited on the amount of technology available to us…" The world has changed. You will have to change with it. Like it or not!

    "THOUROUGHLY " Not spelled correctly

    What? Flipped classrooms make use of technology. I thought pencil and paper was enough for you!

    Passionate. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete